Monday, December 8, 2008

Where are we now?

It's Monday at 1:40p.m. and we haven't had any more spit-up since Saturday. He's holding EVERYTHING down. YEA!!! Saturday he spit up a lot after a couple of his bottles, but I think we know why. He had been getting so hungry that we upped his oz from 5 to 6. I think it was too much for his tummy to take. So, once we backed it back down to 5 oz, he's done great ever since.

Last night, however, he still didn't seem like he was feeling well. He was acting like he was trying to poop, but nothing would come out. So, Thomas and I laid out the old faithful trashbag on the kitchen floor, laid him on his "poop pad" as Thomas calls it, and shoved that enema...okay, I'll stop there. You know the rest. After much screaming, we finally had some movement. It wasn't as much as I would've liked, but I couldn't take much more screaming from my baby. He seemed to be content and went to sleep after his bottle about an hour later. He slept from 7:00-10:30 last night. Then, he woke up at 10:30 hungry, again. So, I got up (yes, we were asleep at 9:15) and fed him again. Usually he'll go RIGHT back to sleep after his bottles at night, but he didn't last night. He would be asleep, hard, in my arms, but as soon as I would put him down, he would start moaning and pushing his legs out again. After struggling with him for about 1 1/2 hours, I got Thomas up and we did ANOTHER enema. (This was actually a liquid glycerin suppository.) FINALLY, we got it ALL out. The poor baby had to push with all his might to get the rest of the "hard" stuff out and then came the soft. So, I feel better now. I think the blockages are gone. Hopefully, he'll start moving on his own now that he's off dairy, getting a laxative and on goat's milk which is supposed to be easier to digest!! (Just a side note - DANG GOAT'S MILK STINKS COMING OUT OF EITHER END!!!) Sorry kiddo - I know I'm puttin' your business all out there, but when you're 20 reading this with your girlfriend, at least I'll have something to laugh about!!!

We also got an appointment with Dr. Habersang for Thursday at 2:00p.m. to discuss what's going on and decide on a plan of action. Now that he's on the goat's milk, the plan of action may be to keep him on the goat's milk and not rock the boat. But, at least I'll be in with a specialist who will LISTEN to me!! I'm feeling quite a bit better about it all!! He's had a GREAT day at daycare today so maybe we're FINALLY on the upswing of all of this.

I knew it would happen eventually, but I wasn't sure WHEN that would be. I'm still not sure we're out of the clear, but at least it's an improvement!!

Thank you to everyone for the prayers. Hopefully when we go to the new Dr. on Thursday he will have gained weight and we will start seeing a little chubby baby again!! I'm ready to NOT be able to feel my son's hip bones or see his spine!!!

Thank you also to Thomas for being so great. These last couple of weeks have been REALLY trying, honey and through all my frustration, you have been so good to me. Last night was hard for both of us and, yet, we got through it. Without you, I would be miserable. Thank you for being my protector, my rock and my encouragement. We WILL survive everything the Devil is throwing at us right now. We have a STRONG foundation in our marriage and we just have to keep that foundation under us! It's when we step out on our own that we're going to fail. I promise to stand by you and with you, the same that I did the day I married you!!


Wesley and Elizabeth said...

2 enemas?! Poor baby! Glad he is doing better. Yea for goat's milk! Yall hang in there...Love, Bubz

p.s. Thomas, thanks for the weather info. Dunder and I finished our run before it got too cold. Thanks!!!

M&E Klein said...

woo-hoo!! Glad to hear that little angel is doing better :)

He'll be chubby again in no time!